Madeley Local History: Madeley Miscellany

On this page we will feature odds & sods that don’t fit in elsewhere, pictures that will later form part of larger features, and items sent by visitors to the site.

Madeley’s St. John’s Ambulance Brigade cadets receiving their First Aid Certificates in 1951:

Back row: Valerie Pritchard, Janet Yates, Jean Brunt, Pat Moore, Doreen Jones, Marilyn Watkins, Linden Davies

Second Row: Doreen Wilde, Jill Walker, Marie Turner, Catherine Hassall, Hilda Didlick, Jean Barker, Hilda Boden, Olive Heighway, Gwen Dallow

Front row: Mary Roberts, Audrey Scriven, Mr Stead, Unknown, Mrs Jenks, Mrs McGavin, Ken Stead

Click the photo to enlarge it.


This Second World War picture shows Major Rawson inspecting Madeley Home Guard at Madeley Cricket Ground. The waste heaps of the old Meadow Colliery, which still dominate the Madeley skyline, can be seen in the background.

The men nearest the front to the right of the Major are: Eddie Bullock, Jack Bowen, Jack Oliver, Tiny Gough and Syd Oliver.

Click the photo to enlarge it.


Less troubled times with the coming of peace – Madeley youngsters taking their Cycling Proficiency tests in 1947.

The gentleman on the left is Alderman Bennett, Mayor of the Borough of Wenlock, to which Madeley belonged until 1963.

The group standing immediately to the right of the lad having his bike inspected are (l to r) Beryl Noble, Gwen Dallow, John Oliver and Robert Jones.

Click the photo to enlarge.


The cover of a Fireman’s Examination Report Book, from the Madeley Wood Company’s Hills Lane Pit, 1875. The Hills Lane Pit produced mainly fireclay – its waste heap can be seen behind the present day Play Centre. As well as Hills Lane the Madeley Wood Co. owned most of the pits in the Madeley area – Blists Hill, Shawfield, Meadow Pit, The Lane, The Court Pits, Kemberton & Halesfield. We hope to include more information on all of them, in the meantime, to read about Madeley Wood Colliery.

Click the photo to enlarge it.


An entry from the report book – the Fireman was responsible for checking that the mine was safe before work commenced, checking ventilation, roof support etc. This entry was signed by Thomas Higginson.

The book was found in the loft of a cottage of Hills Lane during renovation – the building was originally the colliery offices.

Click the photo to enlarge it.


A original £5 share certificate from the Madeley Gas Light Company, dated 20th August 1851, issued to John Davis, of Tweedale, Madeley.

The gas works was sited in Hills Lane (near the present day John Randall School), and actually opened in 1852. Although gas came to Madeley relatively early, it wasn’t until 1932 that the town gained a public electricity supply, with the building of the power station at nearby Ironbridge. Gas lighting remained common until the 1950s.

Click the photo to enlarge it.


Madeley’s famous Silver Band, pictured here on a visit to Rhyl some time in the 1950s.

The band had their own rehearsal room to the side of the old Three Horseshoes pub in the Market Square.

Click the photo to enlarge.


We don’t know anything about this photo, other than that it shows a football team outside the Miners’ Arms pub in Prince Street in the early years of the 20th century. The landlord at the time was William Myatt.

The pub is still there, and will soon be included in our.

Click the photo to enlarge,


The smiling faces on this 1917 photo show that it was carnival time in Madeley (perhaps there wasn’t much to smile about at the time)

The sign on the boy’s back (top left) reads:

”Hold the traffic, we have an appointment with the Kaiser”


Happier times! the carnival in 1947. The girl in the bonnet is Gwen Dallow (now Mrs Gwen Groves, a member of the Local Studies Group).

Her mother, Edith Oliver, was the girl on the right of the 1917 photo above.

 


This old hand-coloured postcard is postmarked 1905, and shows the old Market Square and The Three Horseshoes public house
(The building on the left appeared on our previous home page, everything was demolished in 1968 to make way for a shopping centre).


This scene from the turn of the century shows The Royal Oak pub, then, to the left, the County Court building.

Apart from the clothes (and the beer prices) very little has changed in the last 100 years (although we don’t recommend standing in the middle of the street, unless you want to become a road death statistic).

The Royal Oak is now closed (September 2009) and is in the process of being turned into an Indian restaurant.