Time Gentlemen Please – Madeleys lost pubs and the survivors S – Z

SIX BELLS


In Church Street. Included in Borough Council list of ‘buildings of local interest’. First licensed in 1821.

Named after the peal of six bells in St. Michael’s Church tower (although this was later increased to eight). The right-hand end was once a shop. At one time owned by the Wrekin Brewery, Wellington.

 

THREE FURNACES closed

 

Named after the three blast furnaces of the nearby Madeley Court Works, which from 1843 to 1902 produced thousands of tons of iron. The site is now occupied by the Court Works industrial estate, there is still a small foundry on the site.

The Three Furnaces, photographed circa 1910/12 (obviously during the winter with snow lying in the background).The picture shows Charlie Morris (the butcher from nearby Aqueduct) on horseback, then (l to r): Margaret, Mrs Emily, Emily and Mr Joseph Clarke (landlord), and their married daughter and son-in-law Louise and William Hunter.

 

1901: Three Furnaces

Licence: Full

Granted: 1841

Owner: B. Williams, Wrekin Brewery, Wellington. Occupier and Licensee, Samuel Hyde, Manageress Miss Mercy Hyde

Value: £21 5s

Rooms: 5 rooms up and 4 rooms down

Nature of any proceedings:

  • 17/5/1873: Permitting drunkenness, fined £5 and costs 12s 4d.
  • 4/8/1874: Permitting drunkenness, fined £5 and costs 11s 4d.
  • 15/5/1894: Selling adulterated gin, dismissed
  • 25/4/1899: Selling adulterated whisky, fined 10s and £1 11s costs
  • 21/11/1899: Selling liquor to a drunken person, withdrawn
  • 21/11/1899: Drunk on his own premises, withdrawn

Stabling: 4 horses

Condition: Good

Trade: Mining & roadside

Proximity to other licensed houses: 60 yards

Position of house with regard to Police: Good

General Remarks: Tied to owners for beer

Three Horseshoes Closed

Once the largest pub in Madeley, the Three Horseshoes was demolished in 1968 to make way for the “improvements” to Madeley Centre. In his ‘History of Madeley’, printed in 1880, John Randall describes the Three Horseshoes thus – “The oldest sign in Madeley, and one of the oldest houses in Madeley, the walls being made of rubble, mud and plaster. The sign is one of the oldest in the kingdom. The tenant is Joseph Robinson.” In the 19th Century the Three Horseshoes was not just a public house but also a commercial and family hotel.

This hand coloured postcard, postmarked 1905, shows the Three Horseshoes, at the junction of High Street, Court Street, Church Street and Park Avenue. The headquarters and practice room of the Madeley Band were located at the rear of the pub. The pub once had its own bowling green, the site is now occupied by the Anstice car park

Publicans had long been associated with the Madeley Board of Guardians, who among their other duties were charged with the duty of “protecting innocent people from the dangers of the drinking of alcohol”. The Shrewsbury Journal of March 1869 reported that William Page of the Three Horseshoes was serving on the Board, alongside James Page, a wine & spirit merchant and brewer of Ironbridge. In 1872 William Page became president of the local Tory society, he remained as landlord of the Three Horseshoes until 1877, later becoming a butcher.

We also know that the landlady between 1922-1937 was a Mrs Dimelow.

This photo from the mid 1960s shows how little things had changed in over 60 years – within just a few years all the buildings shown had been demolished. Scroll down to see the same scene today.


A photo taken shortly before demolition in 1968, looking towards the junction with Court Street and High Street. The sign over the door and the brackets for hanging baskets, visible in the picture above, have been removed. The building on the right is the former Pooles Sadlers (immediately to the left of the present day Jubilee House, home of Madeley Parish Council). In the background you can just see Moores bakers shop.

 

1901: Three Horseshoes

Licence: Full

Granted: 1749

Owner: Maun, Crossman & Paulen, Brewers. Leased to Salt & Co., Burton.

Value: £39 5s 0d

Rooms: 8 rooms up and 6 rooms down

Stabling: 10 horses

Condition: Good

Trade: Works and roadside

Occupier and Manager: Edward R Gough

Proximity to other licensed houses: 50 yards

Proximity to other dwellings: Surrounded

Position of house with regard to Police: Good