First recorded mention of Madeley — land acquired by Lady Milburga, founder of Wenlock Abbey.
Madeley mentioned in Domesday Book, valued at 50 Shillings (a place called Brimidgham was worth 4 Shillings and 6 pence!).
First mention of coal mining in Madeley — Phillip de Benthal granted rights to mine by Prior of Much Wenlock Abbey.
Madeley becomes a town — Henry III grants Charter for weekly market and annual fair.
Sir Basil Brooke buys Madeley Court for £946 3s. 8d.
1570 – 1670
Ten-fold increase in population — vast expansion of coal, iron and clay industries
After his defeat at the Battle of Worcester, the future King Charles II hides in John Fletcher becomes Vicar of Madeley. Fletcher, born Jean Guillaume de la Flechère in Switzerland, was a close friend of John Wesley, one of the founders of Methodism, who regularly preached in Madeley.
Birth of John Randall, author of the well known “History of Madeley”. As well as a historian, Randall was also a china painter, postmaster, printer and local councillor. He was made a Fellow of the Royal Geological Society for his study of the local coal measures. He died in 1910 at the age of 100.
Madeley China Works founded by Thomas Martin Randall, uncle of John Randall. Madeley China was said to rival Sèvres for quality.
An epidemic of Cholera reaches Madeley, the first case occurring on a barge at Coalport. At its height victims were buried in a mass grave (the grassed area at the front of St. Michael’s Church)
Fletcher Memorial Chapel opens on Court Street — the only known Methodist chapel to be named after an Anglican clergyman.
Madeley Gas Works opens on a site at Hills Lane — “Owned by the inhabitants of the town”. The railway arrives — Madeley Market Station in Station Road closed to passenger traffic in 1953.
A disaster at the Brick Kiln Leasowes Pit (near present-day Woodside) causes the deaths of nine miners when the winding rope became detached. The youngest killed were aged 12, 13, 14 and 14, you can see their grave in Madeley Churchyard.
The Anstice Memorial Working Men’s Institute opens — the decorative turned woodwork was the work of “Stumpy” Brown, who lost both his arms after using a horn full of blasting powder to poke the fire at the Madeley Wood Company’s offices!
He also became a schoolmaster and pub landlord.
The Market Hall opens — it later became a nut and bolt works before its rebuilding and re-opening in 1998 as the the Madeley Parish Council building.
The Parkhurst Cinema opens on Park Street in a converted Methodist Chapel. It was subsequently known as “The West End” and “The Regent”.
The opening of Ironbridge Power Station brings electricity to Madeley.
Construction of Dawley New Town announced (later to be known as Telford as the result of a competition in the “Shropshire Star”).
The first houses completed on Sutton Hill, ready for a visit from the Queen on March 17th.
Madeley Shopping Centre opens (only the Anstice Club was left standing when TDC demolished the historic core of Madeley). Read all about the coming of the New Town.
Jubilee House opens as the new home of Madeley Parish Council.